Credit or Clock Hour for Law Enforcement Experience Equivalency List
Section 1004.0981, Florida Statutes (F.S.), requires the Articulation Coordinating Committee (ACC) to approve a prioritized list of postsecondary course equivalencies and the minimum postsecondary credit or career education clock hours that must be awarded for law enforcement training and experience. Florida College System (FCS) institutions and district career centers are required to award credit for law enforcement experience and courses, as designated on the Credit or Clock Hour for Law Enforcement Experience Equivalency List (“Equivalency List”).
AWARDING CREDIT FOR LAW ENFORCEMENT EXPERIENCE AND COURSES
- If a student’s law enforcement course(s) are not found on the Equivalency List, a college institution or district career center must evaluate the student’s experience using its policies and procedures for awarding law enforcement experience credit or clock hours.
- If a student’s law enforcement course(s) are found on the Equivalency List, a college institution or district career center must award a student credit when the student’s record demonstrates that the student successfully completed the law enforcement course.
- When credit or clock hours are awarded for law enforcement experience, institutions must award the minimum credits or clock hours listed in the fourth and fifth columns on the Equivalency List, respectively, as appropriate toward the applicable program of study.
- To determine the postsecondary courses for which to award credit for law enforcement course(s), institutions must consider each student’s program of study and the institution’s course offerings within each discipline area. Column 6 of the Equivalency List include aligned to guide course selection. Credits must be awarded in the following rank order:
- General education courses;
- Program-specific courses; and
- Elective courses.
- Florida course numbers on the Equivalency List correspond to postsecondary courses on the Statewide Course Numbering System, described in Section 1007.24, F.S., or in the Career Education Curriculum Frameworks, described in Rule 6A-6.0571, F.A.C.