Grade Forgiveness offers a student the opportunity to retake a course and earn a second grade that will be substituted for the previous grade. Please note that Grade Forgiveness is a lengthy process. Once a student has submitted the grade forgiveness application, it is not official until grades are available for the term of the second attempt.
Requests must be submitted no later than the Grade Forgiveness Deadline, as posted on the Academic Calendar for the term in which the student has registered for the course being repeated (the second attempt).
Grade Forgiveness can only be requested for a course in which the original grade was a “C-” or lower. Should a student need to repeat a course due to a degree program requirement that necessitates a grade of “C” or higher, the student can request a Grade Forgiveness form from the Registrar’s Office or online. The form must be approved by the college advising office and it is recommended approval be obtained prior to repeating the course.
Prior to applying for Grade Forgiveness, the following must be true:
- Students must see the grade posted in myUCF for the course in the term of the initial attempt.
- Students must be enrolled in the second attempt of the course.
Procedure for Online Submission
- Log onto myUCF
- Go to Student Self-Service > Student Center.
- From the “other academic…” dropdown list, select “Grade Forgiveness: Application.”
- On the next page, read the instructions and confirm you have read and agree to the details.
- On the next page, use the dropdown list to select the term in which you are repeating the class.
- A list of your enrolled class(es) will appear. Click on the Select box for the course that you are retaking for Grade Forgiveness. A note will appear that lists the previously taken course, the term it was previously taken in, and the original grade. If this information is correct, click on the Submit button. Once you receive a green check mark with a successful message, the application is complete.
- Take a screenshot of the full page (be sure to capture your student ID, name, term, course, and the successful message) and save for your records.
- To check the status of your grade forgiveness application: From your Student Center and the “other academic…” dropdown list, select “Grade Forgiveness: Status.”
With prior approval from the Dean’s office in which the course is offered, a student can only substitute a course different from the original one if: 1) the substitute course reflects a change in prefix, number, hours, or title but not in substance; or 2) the substitute course replaces a course no longer offered by UCF.
In certain cases, a student may be required to fill out a paper form. The completed form must be turned in to our office no later than the Grade Forgiveness Deadline of the term the course is being repeated. The Grade Forgiveness form may be obtained at our office, or by completing the Grade Forgiveness Contact Form.
For specific questions pertaining to your grade forgiveness, please use the contact form above. For general questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, we cannot give student information to email accounts other than UCF email or other UCF official email.